Automatic update ran despite being disabled (which is bad)

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 03:16:30 UTC 2009

About 15 minutes ago a dialog popped up that claimed "Your system has
been updated" (or something to that effect). The problem is, I didn't
initiate an update and my system is not configured to automatically
update.

Can anyone explain how this could happen?

How do I *completely disable* automatic updating? And I mean
completely with no exceptions. I don't care if there's a bug in
something that has a good chance of erasing my motherboard firmware. I
do not want automatic updates.

Hopefully I accidentally clicked on something to trigger the update.
Hopefully, with automatic updates disabled, the update daemon is
carefully coded so that there is no possibility that the system could
update unless explicitly instructed.

Mike