Re: ssh private key password

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:59:57PM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 23:42 +0100, nodata wrote:
> >
> > No, I'm just getting annoyed that a GUI is popping up when I am using a
> > command line app. Not sure of the point of it, it seems counter
> > intuitive.
>
> You're using a command line app from a graphical terminal.

Not a very appealing argument... The 'graphical terminal' is a
terminal emulator, not something fancy, just a console with a
shell in it...

> Also, cli apps aren't the only use for ssh and ssh keys.

But can't graphical applications simply ask the ssh-agent? Is the
graphical ssh-add frontend doing more than the cli ssh-add?

I was also quite freakened out by ssh-add popping a box of an unknown
application when I did a ssh-add in a terminal of a liveCD.

--
Pat