Re: ssh private key password

Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:
>Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> Users, naturally, would not "want this" - it's intrusive and
>> completely unnecessary. In the Windows world, IT staff would be be
>> bombarded with virus warnings.
>>
>> Please, make "false" the default.
>
>Uh, a GUI prompt for the passphrase is a feature. It also gets used when you
>use SSH from a GUI app, such as a client for a version control system. I
>don't see how this is a problem.

My ssh passphrase is a private matter between me and the ssh client.  I
don't even trust ssh-agent, why would I trust some unexpected GUI that
pops up and demands my passphrase?

I was annoyed when the dialog appeared the first time I used ssh in F10
and made a point of turning it off before making an ssh connection.  I'd
prefer it to be off by default.

Ron