PPC64 virtual machine

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 18:30:32 UTC 2009

I've gotten GCL to build successfully in Rawhide on i386 and x86_64
platforms.  However, it segfaulted on PPC64.

Before I ExcludeArch the ppc platforms, I would like to try to
diagnose the problem.  My first thought was to create a virtual PPC64
machine.  So I downloaded the latest Rawhide boot.iso and fired up
virt-manager.  After configuring the machine, attempting to boot
produces this output on the console:

  PPC Open Hack'Ware BIOS for qemu version 0.4.1
  Build 2007-10-01 06:42:47
  Copyright 2003-2005 Jocelyn Mayer

  Memory size: 1024 MB.
  Booting from device d
  PPC Open Hack'Ware BIOS for qemu version 0.4.1
  Build 2007-10-01 06:42:47
  Copyright 2003-2005 Jocelyn Mayer

  ide0: drive 0: Hard Disk
  ERROR: OF_property_copy cannot get property 'hd' for aliases
  ide0: drive 1: CD-ROM
  ERROR: OF_property_copy cannot get property 'cd' for aliases
  ERROR: ATAPI TEST_UNIT_READY : status 41 != 0x40
  ide1: drive 0: none
  ide1: drive 1: none
  ERROR: Found no boot partition!

Google shows a lot of people complaining about the same problem, but
no solutions; e.g.:

http://www.archivum.info/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/2008-09/msg01672.html

So does anybody know how to create a virtual PPC64 machine?  Failing
that, does anybody have any suggestions for me on how to diagnose the
GCL segfault?  Failing that, I'll have to ExcludeArch, I guess.
Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/