comps discussion at fudcon and the future

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 14 21:46:20 UTC 2009

Josh Boyer wrote:
> Ok, but if group-metapkg has Requires on all the packages in the
> group, then won't:
>
> yum remove foo-is-part-of-group
>
> hit the Requires on group-metapkg and have yum try to remove it,
> along with everything else?

For the benefit of the list, the answer is "yes". This is why I don't
like using metapackages this way; you can't selectively install them.

In fact, this reminds me... on my Asus cleanup project, one of the
things I did NOT remove was the xorg-drivers package, for exactly this
reason. This is one case where I want 'yum update' to know about new
xorg drivers. But this means I can't remove drivers I don't need,
because it will remove the metapackage, which means I won't
automagically find out about new drivers.

This is actually a great example of why I would like a "group
subscription" model; I could "subscribe" to xorg-drivers, and yum would
tell me about new drivers, and I could decide if I want to install them,
without being forced to install a bunch of drivers I don't need.

--
Matthew
"Ah, yes. Control the media and you control the world."