PackageKit translations

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri Jan 16 12:20:28 UTC 2009

phil smith wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 16:33 +0530, Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel wrote:
>>
>>> What are those important languages? Please be specific.
>>>

>> Well, for me (personally) I guess, German, French, Spanish, Greek,
>> Italian and of course British English. There are a lot of untranslated
>> strings in other languages too. I want to make sure that PackageKit is
>> easy to translate in all languages, as I guess they are all pretty
>> important.

> somehow i don't think the british english translation is needed, we can
> read mis-spelled words over here in blighty you know lol

I agree.  Also, translating from American to British English is IME
very difficult to do, so it's not always successful.  Of course there
are trivial spelling differences but these don't cause confusion.  The
worst possible situation occurs with automatic spelling changes (so
you are misled into thinking that the article is in British English)
but American usage.

Andrew.