Re: F10 and no root login - impossible to maintain systems!

Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 22:28 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 22:01 -0500, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 08:29:33AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > You can at run level 3. You can even start X after that.
> > You're assuming all users of a system are technical. That is not the case.

How would a non-technical user know to log in as root?

I knew about the root user in *nix long before I knew about run levels and how to start X manually. It's like the Administrator account in Windows (at least, that's how most non-techies would understand it). Besides, some references online will frequently mention logging-in as root, even if it's not the most advisable. So there are many vectors through which someone can know about logging in as root without having the strongest technical background.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a "launch console window" or "launch terminal window" option or button on the GDM login screen ? That certainly would solve the issues of people not familiar with getty screens and/or runlevels...