F10 and no root login - impossible to maintain systems!

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Wed Jan 21 16:20:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 09:18 -0600, Jud Craft wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Rahul Sundaram
> <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hence, leave the root-session-X backdoor open, (perhaps with a catch
> -- for example, network functionality is disabled in root-session-X --
> so that the only possible errors can come from user error, rather than
> security vulnerabilities.  how about that?) or come up with another
> solution.  "No GUI" for the sake of safety is a no-go solution for
> many people.

To login as root on a X session does not only generates security
vulnerabilities, have you thought of people just dragging and
dropping /usr to another location by mistake (I know people that tried),
at least on Windows platforms you get a message about the directory
being used if you try to move/rename C:\windows, and how many of you
have not dragged by mistake a file and dropped it without noticing?
(dumb trackpads, long live trackpoints :-P)

The root console on GDM is a nice idea, but what about adding access to
the GNOME menu System->Administration, use case: I need to add a new
user to the system I only manage without a local user for me, some users
prefer to add the user using the GUI, instead of running adduser