Re: How do I allow automatic non root access to my non standard USB device ?

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Kevin Coffin <kevin finway co uk> wrote:
> > I then added myself to the uucp group and rebooted, for some reason
> > restarting haldaemon did not work correctly. Now openocd works without
> > having to be root. Hope this helps.
> >
> > I do wish this udev/hal/policykit magic was better documented.
>
> Did your rule get picked up in the authorizations gui as well?
>
> What form of documentation is the highest priority need right now?
>
> -jef

Sorry Jef I was a bit hasty and forgot to answer your second question.
Although I have read the specs for hal/policykit I don't understand how
the authorisations are actually done. Although the quick hack that I
posted does seem to work for me I am not sure exactly how it is
achieved. I do not see the group/owner on the endpoints for the usb
device change. If you have any pointers to further reading on the
inter-actions between hal and policykit they would be gratefully
received.

There is probably a better way to do this. Further reading today
indicated that this should have been placed in /etc/hal directory
structure. I do have an rpm for openocd and it would be nice to have it
install the correct permissions in the right place.

Kevin