Re: F10 and no root login - impossible to maintain systems!

Robert Scheck wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
You can at run level 3. You can even start X after that.

Haha, if the machine is a few hundred miles away at the customer and you
don't have any longer access? Ever tried to explain a non-computer user
being near to the machine how to solve issues via phone if it's urgent or
even critical and time to drive the few hundred miles is not available,
too? Very clever suggestion, you've made...

Yes. I have. For a few years actually and in my experience, it has always been more efficient to instruct people type things in the terminal rather than login via GDM as root user. For one, the shell is pretty consistent, commands don't change often if at all and for administration, you frequently have to fall back to the terminal anyway.

Never once have I felt a real need to tell people to get a root X login for any reason at all.

Rahul