smart package manager oddities

Hi,

I was trying to clean up my system. When I was running kdirstat I
discovered that the smart package manager consumed 30 percent of my
disk space since it seems to create a huge file in /var/lib/channels at
every channel update. (140 MB for fedora-development)

I reported the bug in smart/launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/319965

Can someone confirm this problem?

Unfortunately removing smart does not remove those files. So I have to
manually remove them. Why is yum not cleaning completely?

Cheers
Stefan