Re: smart package manager oddities

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Stefan Grosse wrote:
>> Now I thought that when I use yum to remove smart, it (yum) would
>>  clean/delete the files in /var/lib/smart/ as well. This was not the
>>  case. But maybe this is intentional? I am not an expert.
>
> Removing a package does not remove files created at runtime by the software
> contained in the package (except if the preuninstall or postuninstall
> script of the package removes them, but in general it doesn't), only files
> contained in the package itself.

This could be a packaging problem in smart.  If the files have
predictable names and don't contain non-replacable content then it might
need to %ghost them.  Not being a smart user, though, I don't know if
that's the case with these files or not.  If you're using the smart
package from Fedora you might want to open a bug against the package
here as well.

-Toshio