Re: support for latest (radeon) hardware

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 18:34 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> * Fedora in most areas is good for new hardware, as you get new drivers
> (hplip, gutenprint, sane,...) and even new kernels as regular update,
> which improves hardware support (especially for current hardware) over
> time. But Fedora not only would be "good for new hardware", it could
> have "fantastic support for new hardware" if support for other new
> hardware (like the big bunch of the Radeon HD 4xxx series) also could
> find it's way into the stable distro.

Keep in mind that this constant kernel revving comes with a cost.  Look
at the bodhi karma each time we try to bring a new kernel version to a
release.  For everything we fix, we likely break something else (like
various sound issues on intel recently).  Upstream isn't perfect, and if
I had to choose between supporting new people, or keeping existing
people unbroken, I'll choose on the side of existing people every time.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!