Root Logins in X...

Thomas Bendler ml at bendler-net.de
Mon Jan 26 10:37:29 UTC 2009

2009/1/22 Dr. Diesel <dr.diesel at gmail.com>

> [...]
> Not sure how or why we would try to prevent utter stupidity!  I am firmly
> against forcing uses in any direction.
> Please just make it easy to switch back.

A root login on X is not nessaccary, in no situation (except the design of
your installation is crap or you switch to init S and you have password
based login enabled). But it cause big problems if you talk about audit and
other nice security and controls. So for what reason should there be a root
login in X. It is not even needed in a console. Everything could be done
with normal user rights and escalation of privilegies on specific tasks.

Regars, Thomas