Lack of update information

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Jan 26 12:02:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 01:19:56PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A while back, I tried to selectively update some packages and noticed
> that the update information provided by package maintainers (seen via
> PackageKit) is sorely lacking.
>
> * Update foo to upstream 2.16.2
>
> Was very common, which is practically useless since it doesn't refer to
> upstream or downstream bugzillas or feature list or changelog. Would it
> be useful to introduce some guidelines to cover this?

It looks good to me, users should refer to the package documentation or
to the package url. The only thing I see that could be made mandatory,
would be to associate it with the fedora bugs that were solved by this
update.

Also, if the maintainer knows where the information about the update is
it could be nice to have it in bodhi, but not mandatory. Something like

  See some.site.org/release_notes.html for the changes.

or
  See /usr/share/doc/foo-1.0/NEWS for the changes.

--
Pat