Default ISA/tuning flags for GCC, --enable-kernel= level for glibc

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 13:12:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 07:45:20AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:15:01AM +0100, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> For ppc, the most common hardware would be the G4 PowerMacs.  Use of
> -march=power4 would seem suboptimal there.  Which sort of sucks because

Suboptimal is probably wrong word, it would preclude Fedora 11 running on
G4.  I guess we can keep -march for -m32 powerpc unchanged then, -mtune
will be still power6.  We can default to -march=power4 for -m32 for RHEL
only (already RHEL5 has power4 built shared glibc libraries).

> >For the -march/-mcpu default changes, I think nothing is required from the
> >koji build infrastructure (I don't think there are 31-bit mainframes
> >around in koji/brew and I don't think there are 32-bit powerpcs or
> >i386/i486s among the build boxes either), on the other side that decision
> >has to be made almost immediately (before the world is rebuilt with gcc
> >4.4.0).
>
> I'm going to assmue that you are wanting a mass-rebuild of all of Fedora with
> gcc 4.4.  Is that going to land this week?  From a scheduling perspective,
> if a rebuild is going to happen it would be fairly important to have most of
> it done by Beta.  Feature freeze is March 3rd.  Beta freeze is March 10.

Yes, I want a mass rebuild with gcc 4.4 for Fedora 11, and new gcc can land
into dist-f11 during this week.

> >For glibc --enable-kernel= default this requires that all koji build boxes
> >and anything else that needs to run Fedora 11 binaries runs at least 2.6.29
> >kernels, but the change might be still delayed for a few weeks.
>
> The koji build boxes all run RHEL 5.  Getting them upgraded to a not-yet-
> released kernel seems unlikely.

I know it is a pain, on the other hand it would really improve Fedora 11.

	Jakub