Default ISA/tuning flags for GCC, --enable-kernel= level for glibc

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 16:24:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 07:04 -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> >> The koji build boxes all run RHEL 5.  Getting them upgraded to a not-yet-
> >> released kernel seems unlikely.
> >
> > I know it is a pain, on the other hand it would really improve Fedora 11.
>
> Not only that.  It is the only way to actually test what we are shipping.
>
> At least from glibc's POV (but indirectly from a much wider range) we
> have to compile everything on the kernel we are shipping for the
> release.  Period.  I know that the current build infrastructure doesn't
> do this but this only means it has to change.  We have virtualization
> available, there is no excuse.

Oh?  And what stable reliable fast software virt do we have for ppc,
ppc64, ia64, s390, and s390x?

This is not likely to happen any time soon, so if we want to pick a
kernel to run on the builders, it should be the same kernel we pick as
the "lowest acceptable kernel" for the variety of targets we build for,
which includes RHEL4.  What happens if we pick up the 2.6.29 kernel and
try to build RHEL4 packages on it, will they suddenly turn on
functionality that can't possibly work on their intended target?

I'm with Dan P.B., to obtain specific kernel level functionality it
should be possible to override, so that you get a reliable reproducible
build result.

As for Jakub's question about the gcc flags, that's likely a FESCo
decision, as this sounds very much Feature like.  It would require a
Feature page, and all the fun that goes along with it, including scope,
help for test plans, a contingency plan, and release notes.  It will
also help us plan a mass rebuild along with other needs of our distro,
like potential rpm changes that would also benefit from a mass rebuild.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!