Default ISA/tuning flags for GCC, --enable-kernel= level for glibc

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 16:49:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 05:38:30PM +0100, Robert Scheck wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> > release.  Period.  I know that the current build infrastructure doesn't
> > do this but this only means it has to change.  We have virtualization
> > available, there is no excuse.
>
> Well, we're doing AFAIK only lazy virtualization AKA para-virtualization on
> our build systems, so we're using the same kernel on host system and on the
> virtual machines.

There is no such restriction with Xen paravirtualization. The host & guest
kernel have no need to be running the same version. The hypervisor ABI,
and device ABI is what is fixed & this is independant of kernel version.
You are thinking of container based virtualization where there is no
separate guest kernel.

Daniel