Re: Lack of update information

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 17:29 -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:

Should we not release any updates without a Fedora bug being filed asking to upgrade to the latest upstream?

That's actually not unreasonable.  The update process should be user
driven, as in a user needs or wants something specific from the new
upstream code, we don't just install a bot to throw whatever falls out
of upstream directly at our users whether they want/need it or not.

Reality is: In most cases, updates are upstream driven, because Fedora is
just a small subset of an upstream's user-base. Also upstreams typically happen to habe
the better insights in issue/bugs/defects a package might suffer from.

Therefore, if upstreams are doing a reasonable job (many do), keeping in close sync to upstream releases means "preventive bug fixing".

The problem with this: Users don't notice the cases in which upgrades "simply work" - They only notice the case, something already has gone wrong.

Ralf