Re: how to show upstream changes to the user

Richard W.M. Jones (rjones redhat com) said:
> > If you don't have the time to find out, *as a maintainer*, what changed,
> > you shouldn't be maintaining it.
>
> I don't think that's true at all.  As a *packager*, my job is to
> package correctly and respond to packaging bugs.  Sometimes that
> involves a little bit of code maintenance -- so you need to be a jack
> of all trades^Wprogramming languages -- but I am by no means an expert
> on the ins and outs of every version of every package I look after.

'Expert on the ins and outs'? You don't have to be able to rewrite
the program from scratch, but you should at least *look* when there's
a new release to get some idea of what changed, if for no other reason
than that will help you if you get bugs on it later.

Bill