Re: PackageKit application icons

On 1/28/09, Rick L. Vinyard, Jr. <rvinyard cs nmsu edu> wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:

>>> see

>>> I agree that neither of those are good solutions, but there is another
>>> option.
>>> Currently, the icons reside in each package and the desktop entry file
>>> (also in the individual packages) is used to associate the package with
>>> the icon.
>>> Why couldn't devel packages (and others without desktop entry files)
>>> follow a similar approach containing the icon and association?
>> I think the problem then is you don't see the icon for the package until
>> you've installed the package.
> But, aren't they currently harvesting them from the packages and desktop
> entries?

Yes, as soon as you install the package, PackageKit parses the desktop
file and adds the icon file to a local database.

> Or, does pkg-application only show the icons for the packages I currently
> have installed?

Yup. The only way this could work for not-installed files would be for
the application icons to be put on the mirrors, and for PackageKit to
generate a per-user cache of icons in the session.