Re: Draft: simple update description guidelines

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Chris Weyl <cweyl alumni drew edu> wrote:
> [1] You know, it strikes me that it'd be interesting to see what % of
> our users actually run through the update list, rather than just see
> the little popup and clicking "update now".  Do we track this, and
> maybe we should collect some statistics on this before wasting any
> more time with this thread?

Simple answer... no we do not have a way to track it...as this the
notification text is part of the repository metadata on each mirror.

Long answer...if there are mirror admins who would be willing to run
analysis scripts...i can work with them to get analysis scripts in
place which provide aggregate statistics concerning the rate at which
yum connections are made to the file holding the notifications.
If clients commonly pull that metadata file in situations even when
there isn't a human to read the data...then that won't tell us much.
But since its an optional repo metadata file, I'm hoping that isn't
happening automatically very often.  But mirror admins would have to
volunteer to run the scripts..or give us access to the logs so we can
parse them ourselves.

-jef