Re: Draft: simple update description guidelines

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Chris Weyl <cweyl alumni drew edu> wrote:
>> [1] You know, it strikes me that it'd be interesting to see what % of
>> our users actually run through the update list, rather than just see
>> the little popup and clicking "update now".  Do we track this, and
>> maybe we should collect some statistics on this before wasting any
>> more time with this thread?
>
> Simple answer... no we do not have a way to track it...as this the
> notification text is part of the repository metadata on each mirror.
[...snip...]

Hm.  Just off-the-cuff'ing here, but: could we rig the update applet
to provide info that could be reported back via smolt?  All we'd
really need to capture to settle this is the number of times a user
clicked "Update system now" vs "Show updates -> Review", right? ...and
better yet, if any packages were deselected.  A yum plugin could be
used to report the number of times someone does a "yum update."

That would give us some solid data to work with here.

                                    -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia