Re: Package Review Stats for the week ending January 18th, 2009

drago01 wrote:
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Alexander Kurtakov <akurtako redhat com> wrote:
Robert Scheck wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Brian Pepple wrote:

This is all a moot point now though, since a couple of weeks ago FESCo
approved a proposal to reset the initial seeding of the provenpackager
group with Packaging Sponsors, and Jesse has made a proposal(1) on
guidelines for approving someone to the provenpackager group.

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-January/msg01573.html

Again, Jesse's proposal still keeps the same issues, just puts up new
guidelines and enforces nothing. Provenpackager is to critical to just
handle it just using guidelines and by a single provenpackage sponsor.
The approval of multiple (many) sponsors is needed before a packager
can get a provenpackage one - and this is what my proposal is about...

Greetings,
 Robert

As everyone is so afraid of the damage provenpackager can do I want to
propose something else:
Provide a possibility for maintainers to open their package for ***EVERY***
packager. I would love to do this.  And do you know why?
Because I want to see some community growing and people trying to fix things
even if they DO mistakes. How can someone learn if he didn't try to do it?
I would prefer if someone fix 3 things and break one because I will have to
fix only 1 thing not 3 :). And after pointing the problem to the author it
won't happen again ( I believe).
P.S. Please don't tell me that I don't care for this packages because I'm
upstream author for this packages and I invested my free time in them before
started at Red Hat.

Alexander Kurtakov

Did it ever happen that a "provenpackager" or any packager in the days
of open ACLs cause any real damage to packages (not owned by him)?
I am not aware of any such cases, it seems to me that we are trying to
solve a non existing problem.
I'm simply trying to think of a solution for both sides - paranoic-about-security and believe-in-good-will.

Alexander Kurtakov