Package Review Stats for the week ending January 18th, 2009

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 29 10:48:57 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 28.01.2009, 21:10 -0500 schrieb Behdad Esfahbod:
> Robert Scheck wrote:
> > But mostly the Red Hat guys are lacking massive
> > RPM knowledge and ignore Guidelines [snip].
>
> Can we please be done with this kind of blanket statements as well as "Red Hat
> vs the community" comments?  They are derogatory, demoralizing, and border on
> offensive.  And after the third time, simply frustrating.  Red Hat has some of
> the best engineers in the world, perhaps some of the worst if you wish, and
> most probably a lot of average ones.  So what?

I think what Robert and me wanted to express is: It's not only that some
(!) people from RH do not follow the guidelines but some also explicitly
refuse to follow them even after they were told them what's wrong. I
have no explanation for that kind of behavior but arrogance.

> Most of what is seen as "Red Hat guys are bad at packaging" is simply baggage
> held from the Core days.

Agreed, but we've had merge reviews with proposals for enhancements and
fixes that did not get applied by the owner. I have never ever seen this
from a community member. If someone did, his review request would be
closed "WONTFIX" pretty soon, but this isn't possible for merge reviews.

> Unfortunately (for us "Red Hat guys") most Core
> packages were simply thrown upon us as part of our job.  I would never
> *volunteer* to do packaging, as that's not what I'm best at.

Does that mean you are expecting someone who volunteers for something to
do it better than someone who has do to it because he get's paid for? I
can not follow that argument and I doubt your employer will.

> If someone wants
> to go ahead and take maintainership of all my packages, I very well appreciate
> it.  I'm sure many other "Red Hat guys" are in the same boat.

This is what I call a constructive suggestion. ;)

Regards,
Christoph