Package Review Stats for the week ending January 18th, 2009

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Thu Jan 29 15:41:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> > If you don't want to enhance your packaging skills around RPM, you
> > simply must not be a package maintainer. Go and orphan your packages,
> > if you want to focus just on upstream.
>
> This pretty definitely shows you have not the faintest idea of what
> you're talking about.

Au contraire. I believe Robert knows pretty much what he's talking about.
Even though his form is not always what I consider cordial, the content of
his mails and his reasoning is sound.

> Should you prod Behdad sufficiently to make him do exactly that, you'd
> be on the shit list of a lot of people, me included (and I suspect that
> would include releng and most of qa).

No need for shitlists. Please read _again_ what exactly Robert is
advocating.

I'll even repeat it for you:

	Go and orphan your packages, if you want to focus just on
	upstream.

He's not advocating forcing people out or forcing them to orphan packages.
What he suggests is that people wanting to concentrate on upstream
development are able to do that without being burdened by maintaining
packages for distributions.

regards,
 andreas