Draft: simple update description guidelines

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 30 08:34:21 UTC 2009

Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> i.e. if you've got a big, potentially very broken re-base to a new
> upstream it would be a good idea to test locally, then push to rawhide
> for a while, then updates-testing for another while and, finally, push
> to updates.
Well, once a package is in rawhide, it in almost all cases sooner or
later enters "stable", because there often is no way back.

I.e. packages must already provide a certain amount of stability before
entering rawhide. A mechanically/blindly/careless pushing packages into
rawhide approach, hoping they will mature there, will hardly work.

Ralf