Re: Too many unowned directories

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:51:59 +0200 (EET), Panu wrote:

Rpm sets a default umask 0022 on initialization since 4.4.2.3.

That seems to be Fedora >= 9. Good to hear that.

Yup, since Fedora >= 9.

And I can confirm it with F10!
That's one annoyance less. :)

Unremoved versioned directories after package removal is a minor issue.
The inability to RPM-verify unowned directories becomes minor if dirs
default to 0755.

Where are you seeing inaccessible unowned directories being created?

As I recall it, I could still reproduce it end of Nov 2008 in Rawhide, but
there's a small chance I was in a shell on F8 by mistake.

By Nov 2008 rpm certainly set a default umask, but it only sets it once at initialization time, so any API user (python or otherwise) has a chance to still change it to something else. I'm not aware of anything doing that but possible, yes - or you were on F8 shell :) And sure the umask setting could be pushed deep into the file processing mechanism to avoid API users messing with it if absolutely necessary.

	- Panu -