Fedora Project, give me 20 Million Euros or Free EDA software

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 20:35:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> Chitlesh and I are the only ones who see a flaw in the reasoning above ?

Its not a flaw....

before we could ship a java interpreter in Fedora..we did not package
java based functionality... its the same scenario.

OVM is not setting a precedent, this is a pretty established policy.

If OVM goes in on your reasoning I would be free to package up all the
data visualization scripts written for IDL used widely in my research
area as official fedora packages instead of wasting the time
re-engineering the functionality as python.  Sure the only way to use
them is to purchase the proprietary IDL interpreter which Fedora can
not ship. GDL is not good enough yet to handle IDL's plotting and
graphical widgets.

And I guess the same goes for all the matlab analysis code that is
floating around...even though matlab is proprietary.

You are free to create a package any source or scripted language
material you like, you are free to host that package on hosting you
control. But its not going to be going in to Fedora's repository
unless Fedora can ship the compiler or interpreter to use that code or
script.

-jef