Re: RFC: Kernel changes that may affect desktops

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:01:45PM -0400, Ben Boeckel wrote:

> Isn't there "Save As..." for saving it? If not, I smell a bug
> report. When I'm working over  sshfs and the network goes down,
> my editor still works with the file, the actual save is what
> fails.

It depends on what resources you have open on the hardware. If part of
your application is on the disk that's about to be disconnected, then
you have problems.

> Umm, Windows locks files when they're opened. AFAIK, Linux
> doesn't enforce this.
>
> A similar problem is this:
>
> mkdir foo
> touch foo/bar
> kwrite foo/bar &
> rm -rf foo
>
> Should kwrite be killed because rm killed the directory?

No, because it still has a reference to it. Unmount works differently to
remove.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org