Re: Feature proposal: Extended Life Cycle Support

On 07/05/2009 12:12 PM, Jos Vos wrote:
On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 12:03:05PM +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

The CentOS project, or it's upstream, has a release cycle of approximately
three years -not a steady release cycle of three years but that's what it
turns out to be. This disqualifies the distribution(s) as desktop Linux
distributions, as desktops tend to need to run the latest and greatest for
as far the latest and greatest lets them.

I don't completely agree that "desktops tend to need to run the latest and
greatest" (when we're talking about business desktops), but desktops
(especially also when talking about laptops because of HW compatibilities)
need newer software than RHEL offers, based on now 3 year old base versions
of most packages (except Firefox and a few others).

Agreed, I exaggerated a little there ;-) What I meant is they tend to need to run the latest and greatest *compared* to servers, and as you said, especially laptops and newer hardware.

-- Jeroen