Subject: Re: vPython
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:54:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk redhat com>
To: Casey Dahlin <cdahlin redhat com>

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Casey Dahlin wrote:

At NCSU, nearly every student in every department codes a small subset of python once during their studies. This is due to the physics department's use of a library called vPython. vPython is simply a 3d library. Its capabilities are very limited but it is extremely simple to use. Basically any student who takes a physics lab at state (usually a general education requirement) learns to model physics problems in vPython (admittedly without ever seeing so much as a conditional or loop).

I bring this up because vPython is very very difficult to install on Fedora. there is no RPM, and many of the dependencies for building the source are very difficult to resolve due to conflicts etc. However I do have a friend who has found a procedure to do it. What would be the process for getting vPython included as a package in Fedora? It'd be one step closer to getting the Physics people off of win2k.

It is not a simple process. It should probably be simpler. But it's not rocket science, either. It's documented here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join

If you'd like to do this, I'd really appreciate a newbie's detailed impressions of the process of joining the world of Fedora packagers. :)

--g