Feature proposal: Extended Life Cycle Support

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Jul 6 21:44:29 UTC 2009

On 07/05/2009 08:03 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> They already have 7 months of time to move to the next version. It's just if
> they absolutely want to skip a version that they only have 1 month.

In the field I've often found that a Fedora at GA+0 isn't really ready
to deploy.  A bunch of fixes come in quickly, and things are mostly
rock-solid by 2 months in, maybe 3.

So, one can't really plan to skip versions and remain stable - 1 month
is too short.

One way to look at this project, then, would be to extend the EOL of the
previous version by that period (however it could be rigorously
defined).  That would enable effective version skipping, thus doubling
the effective life of a release.

The tools required to make a 2-version skip dependable would be another
useful avenue.

WRT Legacy, that was done before the Extras merge, right?  Did Legacy
handle Extras?  I don't recall, but if not that could make this
incarnation that many times more difficult.

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/