Feature proposal: Extended Life Cycle Support

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Jul 7 14:21:49 UTC 2009

On 07/07/2009 01:06 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 20:20:50 +0200
> Jeroen van Meeuwen<kanarip at kanarip.com>  wrote:
>
>> Reading it on a question-mark per question-mark basis though, I think
>> the feature page answers half of the half-posed questions. Anyway:
>>
>> - a bunch
>
> fas names? Approximate number?

A bunch right now is approximately 25, including the people I've seen
being enthusiastic in this thread or in private conversations. This
doesn't mean I have 25 people lined up to do the actual work though, but
for a single thread and some private communication (not fully exposed
and not started yet), I think ~25 people is a strong start.

> When this comes up there is always "A bunch of people" who want this,
> but they never seem to want to sign up to do the work. Do you have such
> people ready to go to work?

I can personally guarantee 1 FTE of work backing up this proposal for 6
months of extended life cycle support.

>>> - Are there any Corporations that specifically asked for this? Would
>>>    they be willing to provide any resources to the effort?
>> The demand is there..., the offerings... not so much. Maybe there's a
>> trick to get sponsoring for something that does not and may not exist
>> yet because approval is pending, that I don't know about. Care to
>> share?
>
> Well, I would say gather your group, show that there is an active
> group of people ready to work on this and you will have a lot less
> skepticism. I personally look at the last time this came up. As far as
> I know the group had 1 meeting, nothing ever happened.

Nothing ever got out, true. Some things did happen, such as building a
large part of the infrastructure needed. It didn't live up to it's full
potential though, agreed.

> I fear you are going to have to show some great setup and activity
> before people are going to take this seriously. :(

What the conditions are for anyone out there to take this seriously or
not, realistically, isn't my problem. I can't satisfy everybody in every
aspect as you'll undoubtedly understand, but I can make sure valid
concerns are addressed or taken into account prior to a decision being
made on whether to allow this within and through the Fedora Project (as
a Feature?).

I should also note that I can not just share information on people
interested or willing to do the work with you all, since I do not know
or control their desired level of privacy. Either they step up and make
themselves known to the world during one of these conversations, or they
keep silent and you will never hear from then until after the discussion
and the final decision -for whatever reason, I don't know. I'm sorry,
but I choose to not be the one deciding whether people can opt-in later,
at any given point, or whether they opt-in because I share their
personal information.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip