Re: an update to automake-1.11?

Braden McDaniel wrote:
Breaking compatibility with previous versions of automake, autoconf, or
libtool has no impact on released tarballs made using those tools; they
continue to work as intended because they do not depend on the presence
of these tools.

...but they depend on a slew of *other* things, like a POSIX shell and many POSIX tools. And IIRC I've run into problems when those weren't the /GNU/ versions thereof.

There's a lot to be said for /one/ tool that - while, granted, it needs to be installed - not only allows you to build, but also do full development without having to hunt down some precise version thereof, have several versions installed at once, etc.

You're on your own for the pony. -- Richard Hughes, on feature requests