http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 7 22:39:04 UTC 2009

drago01 wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Matthew Woehlke<> wrote:
(Thank you.)
>> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=sflc+microsoft+patent+promise
>>
>> (Granted, much of that is about OOXML, but it seems to be referring to the
>> same OSP, and even so, given the opinion on how poorly OOXML is covered, I
>> doubt M$ would do anything to make the Mono/C#/CLI situation appreciably
>> better.)
>
> No its not the same "Open Specification Promise" != "Community Promise"

...but there are certainly people weighing in on both.

Hmm, I thought I'd seen an actual statement from SFLC on the CP, but now
I can't find it again. Still most of what I saw is others that feel the
CP is no better than the OSP (some even said it is worse). Certainly
some of the same points apply.

>> Oh, and drago01:
>>> I doubt that any lawyer would interprets it the way [Riu does].
>> I don't about exact agreement with Riu's specific arguments, but they sure
>> don't seem to share /your/ comfort level.
>
> I stated serval times that I am not a laywer and therefore can be
> wrong, than Riu stated that we don't need laywers because his point is
> obivious (to him).

Fair enough. The point was just that your argument is better if 5
seconds of google doesn't appear to refute it. It was just a friendly
suggest on 'how to make a better argument'.

> But unfortunatly the US laws suck, and that won't change anytime soon.

Unfortunate, yes :-).

> When providing links make sure that they cover the same topic ;)
> Because than _you_ look that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Touché. (Though my point was partly the obvious google results.) Still,
you are right. How about these?
http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/07/are-microsofts-promises-for-ever.html
http://mono-nono.com/2009/07/07/is-it-enough/

--
Matthew
You're on your own for the pony. -- Richard Hughes, on feature requests