Hi help required for setting up a debug setup

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 16:21:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 18:03:43 +0200, Harsha gowda wrote:
> I tried compiling with -O0 ggdb3
>
> and installed the rpms & still get symbol not found,
>
> *[root at localhost i386]#* gdb -q wpa_supplicant
> (no debugging symbols found)

I wanted to write it short but it was not clear I see.

So just one of the choices:

Either

(a) gdb /usr/bin/wpa_supplicant
    and use debuginfo-install wpa_supplicant
    (the line stepping will work but it will be "imperfect")

or (but not both)
(b) Patch wpa_supplicant.spec with `-O0 -ggdb3' but do not install it at all,
    use just the version from the build tree.  I use `rpmbuild -bc' for such
    cases.  Do some:
    gdb /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/wpa_supplicant-0.6.4/wpa_supplicant (unchecked)

You can also do (if you need the binary present at the standard system
location such as in /usr/bin):
(c) rpm -U wpa_supplicant-0.6.4*.rpm
    but do not use debuginfo-install but instead install also its
    corresponding locally built debuginfo:
    rpm -U wpa_supplicant-debuginfo-0.6.4*.rpm

> *[root at localhost i386]#* debuginfo-install wpa_supplicant
> Package 1:wpa_supplicant-debuginfo-0.6.4-2.fc10.i386 already installed and latest version
> *[root at localhost i386]#* gdb -q wpa_supplicant
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (gdb)

If you do
	rpm -qi wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant-debuginfo

you should find out their builds do not match.  I am more curious gdb should
have printed also:

warning: the debug information found in "/usr/lib/debug//usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant.debug" does not match "/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant" (CRC mismatch).

Regards,
Jan