Re: $HOME/bin

Stefan Assmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering why there's no $HOME/bin directory and $HOME/bin not
> mentioned in the $PATH variable. Any particular reason not to have that
> by default?

$HOME/bin is not on every system and the other default directories in
default PATH are(at least on the most of systems ;) ). However, some
Linux distros do add something as:
# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi
as default - so this dir gets added automatically when does exist.
I'm generally +1 for changing the default that way - as it would not
change anything for users without that directory.

Greetings,
         Ondřej Vašík