Re: $HOME/bin

Matthew Garrett <mjg redhat com> writes:

>> <press alt-shift-f2 -> starts the xfrun4 "Run program" application)
>> $ ps wwwe `/sbin/pidof xfrun4`
>>  4220 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/xfrun4 --daemon ... PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
> .bash_profile is only evaluated for login shells.

How else is the program environment (e.g. $http_proxy or $PATH) supposed
to be set for applications started by the "Run program" desktop feature?

And -- I want it to be consistent across xterm, the xfce4-panel buttons
(which both have the bash profile environment) and "Run program".

>> It's probably some kind of undebuggable d-bus interaction :( Hence,
>> use xterm to start your applications, but not this buggy desktop
>> crap.
> It seems to be working as expected, given the implementation.

Most computer languages guarantee that everything works as expected, given
its implementation.  But this does not mean that it works correctly.