Feature proposal: Rebootless Installer

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:23:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 08:09:09AM -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Colin Walters wrote:
>> Another thing to keep in mind that immediately post-installation there
>> are going to be updates, which will at a minimum need desktop reset
>> (fast reboot experience), or more likely system restart.
>
> I don't exactly get this.  I might understand some negligible things. But
> historically I've often done
>
> -normal install, reboot
>
> -booted, logged in using everying, then a massive yum update, then I'd
> wait till it was absolutely convenient to logout of the desktop or reboot
>
> In fact, when I felt I needed to do it before my convenience, I generally
> regarded it as a pretty horrible bug.

I thought that preupgrade is supposed to help ease this discomfort.
It deals pretty well with combining the base release of the new distro
with package updates, and you reboot when you're ready.  There's
nothing in preupgrade to deal with repartitioning, though, it's purely
for an in-place upgrade.  Downloading happens in the background, and
you reboot when you're ready to run the transaction.  May not cover
all the cases you're looking at, but worth noting.