Against what do I file this bug?

Stefan Hartsuiker sahartsu at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 16 15:13:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, July 16, 2009 16:33, John5342 wrote:
> 2009/7/16 Stefan Hartsuiker <sahartsu at xs4all.nl>:

>>> What I mean is, if you aren't getting something mounted, my first guess
>>> would be that the contents of the initrd are wrong. That might be a
>>> mkinitrd problem, but it might be something else. I am not a boot
>>> process expert... ergo I probably will not be of further help; sorry.
>>>

>> Thanks for the effort anyway :)
>>
>>> I can think of one other question that might help someone else help you,
>>> however. Is it only /boot that doesn't mount? What about /, swap, and
>>> any other disk mounts (i.e. /proc, /sys are likely not interesting) you
>>> have configured?
>>
>> The fakeraid mirrored device only contains two partitions, namely p2 ( to be
>> mounted on /)  and p1 (to be mounted on /boot).
>> All other things that are to be mounted can be mounted (at the point of the
>> error not everything is yet moounted though)
>>
>> One other bit of an odd thing that may not have been made completely clear
>> is that for the fakeraid mirrored device no device files exist. This
>> includes
>> the root partition/mount even though it is actually mounted ro at the point
>> of
>> the error.
>>
>> Another thing I just noticed is that the devicenode numbers (major/minor)
>> that
>> are used for the fakeraid mirrored device during a livecd run are 253/0,
>> 253/1
>> and 253/2. These numbers are in a ''normal'' boot sequence (the one that
>> fails
>> to startup correctly) used by the second fakeraid device.
>>
>> Does devicemapper or somesuch remove pre-existing devices if they don't
>> match
>> it's idea of waht is should be or does devicemapper just start at the
>> ''beginning'' when creating devicenodes?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Stefan Hartsuiker
>
> This may be completely un-related but ever since i first started using
> FC3 (up to and including F11) i have had the same issue with nvidia
> fake raid. I wasn't installing to the raid but the symptoms were
> almost identical. My problem was that the dmraid command (which also
> creates the devicemapper entries in /dev/) wasn't making it into the
> initrd image. All i did was run the install dvd in rescue mode, chroot
> to the install, run 'dmraid -ay' to make sure the fakeraid was enabled
> and then recreate the initrd using mkinitrd.

Hmm, dmraid refuses to activate the fakeraid mirrored device. See the output
below:
[root at sparhawk ~]# dmraid -d -ay -v
DEBUG: _find_set: searching nvidia_ddcacjcd
DEBUG: _find_set: not found nvidia_ddcacjcd
DEBUG: _find_set: searching nvidia_ddcacjcd
DEBUG: _find_set: not found nvidia_ddcacjcd
DEBUG: _find_set: searching nvidia_bcfahchh
DEBUG: _find_set: searching nvidia_bcfahchh
DEBUG: _find_set: not found nvidia_bcfahchh
DEBUG: _find_set: not found nvidia_bcfahchh
DEBUG: _find_set: searching nvidia_bcfahchh
DEBUG: _find_set: not found nvidia_bcfahchh
DEBUG: _find_set: searching nvidia_bcfahchh
DEBUG: _find_set: found nvidia_bcfahchh
DEBUG: _find_set: searching nvidia_bcfahchh
DEBUG: _find_set: found nvidia_bcfahchh
DEBUG: checking nvidia device "/dev/sdc"
DEBUG: set status of set "nvidia_ddcacjcd" to 16
DEBUG: checking nvidia device "/dev/sda"
DEBUG: checking nvidia device "/dev/sdb"
DEBUG: set status of set "nvidia_bcfahchh" to 16
RAID set "nvidia_ddcacjcd" already active
INFO: Activating linear raid set "nvidia_ddcacjcd"
RAID set "nvidia_bcfahchh" was not activated             <-- why?
DEBUG: _find_set: searching nvidia_ddcacjcdp1
DEBUG: _find_set: not found nvidia_ddcacjcdp1
RAID set "nvidia_ddcacjcdp1" already active
INFO: Activating partition raid set "nvidia_ddcacjcdp1"
DEBUG: freeing devices of RAID set "nvidia_ddcacjcd"
DEBUG: freeing device "nvidia_ddcacjcd", path "/dev/sdc"
DEBUG: freeing devices of RAID set "nvidia_bcfahchh"
DEBUG: freeing device "nvidia_bcfahchh", path "/dev/sda"
DEBUG: freeing device "nvidia_bcfahchh", path "/dev/sdb"
DEBUG: freeing devices of RAID set "nvidia_ddcacjcdp1"
DEBUG: freeing device "nvidia_ddcacjcdp1", path "/dev/mapper/nvidia_ddcacjcd"

Here the nvidia_bcfahchh is the fakeraid mirrored device and nvidia_ddcacjcd is
the other one. nvidia_bcfahchh consists of /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

Does anyone have an idea as to why dmraid does not activate nvidia_bcfahchh?

> Since you installed to the disk i can't imagine why dmraid didn't make
> it into initrd but you're situation did sound familiar. Hope it helps.

I think dmraid is actually in the initrd (not checked yet, will do later
tonight), since it can find nvidia_ddcacjcd.

But al least your tip gives me a tool to produce more debugging output :)

Kind regards,
Stefan Hartsuiker
[snip signature]