Proposal to Drop Fedora 12 Features

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Fri Jul 17 13:57:30 UTC 2009

On Thursday 16 July 2009 20:25:36 Jon Ciesla wrote:

> > On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM, John
> Poelstra<poelstra at redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Hi
> FESCo,
> >

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XZRpmPayloads
> >>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support
> >

> Afaik those are blocking on
> > 1) xz review request
> > 2)
> rel-eng to coordinate a mass rebuild
>
> Has anyone taken concrete
> steps for a i586 secondary arch yet?

For the most part, its not (yet) necessary. We throttled back the
definition of i686 from "i686 + cmov + sse2" or some such to just
"i686 + cmov", so there are very few systems that would be served by
an i586 secondary arch right now. i.e., Athlon XP, Pentium III, etc.,
which *would* have been relegated to i586, are still going to be
supported by i686, and we've talked about adding a cmov trap-and-emu
function to keep supporting the few i686 procs w/o cmov, which really
leaves only the original Pentium series that would benefit from an
i586 secondary arch. At least, that's my vague recollection of it all
right now... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com