RFE: FireKit

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 24 16:03:41 UTC 2009

Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> Python does not make for a particularly efficient long-running daemon.
> And if your plan is to monitor for port openings in order to prompt,
> it's going to need to be a long-running daemon (also you'll probably
> want a kernel module component to signal your daemon when a port is opened)
>
> If I might suggest, you probably want to use a compiled language like C.
> The GLib C framework is probably a good approach, especially with its
> excellent glib-dbus integration.

If I might suggest, C++ and Qt would also be a fine approach :-), the
object model isn't built on C hacks, and Qt also has great dbus
integration. (And it's bloody easy to design UI's in Qt. And you could
make friends by working with KDE instead of making them play catch-up,
for a change.) Why does everyone have to reach for glibc first?

--
Matthew