fedora 11 worst then ever release

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Sat Jul 25 15:30:06 UTC 2009

hi,
first of all i use linux since '94 so i've seen a few releases. and learned
to wait a few weeks before upgrade. now i try to upgrade from a few fully
update f10 to f11.
it's a nightmare!
on a 5 years old hardware with raid1 system and boot partition anaconda
crash with dmraid error while i don't use dmraid just mdraid:-( and since
preupgrade also crash with the same error there is no way to properly
upgrade from the latest release to the next release! not even with nodmraid
kernel option.
on system where anaconda do not crash f10 update's yum newer then on f11
iso's so the installer do not upgrade yum! so after the upgrade yum no
longer works. as the installer do not upgrade kernel-devel akmods not able
to rebuild kernel module for nvidia and ati so X not able to start. in order
to be able to get the latest kernel-devel and akmods packages i need
network. but as i don't have X i can't use these fantastic networkmanager
tool and the old ifup wlan0 no longer works. but without networkmanager wifi
is not working so my laptop is no longer usable! no X ati do not working, no
wireless.
all of my system has a wrong openssl version so eg ntp never start.
after i manually get (with a pendrive) yum packages yum able to work but
crash and ask me to send this bug to the developer (but still without
network). there was some python 2.5 abi problem. how can a system critical
tool like yum depend on such a broken thing like python? currently there is
no way in installer to use rpm it use yum:-(
after i update by hand a few dozen of packages with rpm yum start to work.
now the worst part after i already install f11 yum show 2069 packages to
update!!! just one month after the release! my system consist of 2059
packages at the same time yum download 2069 packages to update! what the
hell i doing??? why do i upgrade the system for a half days if i upgrade all
of my packages. why do i need a dvd iso? this download is more then the
whole iso!
and the real annoying part after i upgrade a few thousands of packages is
the sound no longer works! there is no volume control i can't play even a
wav file with play ...wav. is it so difficult thing? in 2009 it's a big
requirement that an operating system be able to play a wav file? anyway
nothing is working no sound at all skype is no longer works. tv tunner card
no longer works. why anybody try to push this pulse stuff!? it's known to
broken no one like it it's very early in development. after each fedora
release a real big part of the mailing list traffic is about pulseaudio.
let's just exclude it out and try to use it after 2012. are you really wanna
suck so much with it?
and the firefox and thunderbird betas... why? do we really need to be so
cutting edge? they are broken and crash too often:-(
thunderbird has no google calendar provider (while it had in f10) so it's
worse then in f10. there is a testing thunderbird-lightening which has no
corresponding thunderbird release (f11 was released on 9th juli:-)
on a simple on borad intel video card X/gnome crash daily.
and i could be list many other problems. so i really thing that's the worst
then ever release of fedora.
and tend to agree with dag that fedora is not suitable even for the
desktop/workstation world. and i can't say anything those ubuntu users who
said it's working in ububtu:-(
if rhel 6 will be released i'll push a new company policy that no one can
use fedora (it's so much problem for the users and the support that it's not
worth for it) even as a desktop os just centos 6.
a really angry fedora user.