fedora 11 worst then ever release

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sat Jul 25 15:46:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 04:41:53PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> md /boot is definitely broken, has been for ages and the bugs don't seem
> to have been touched. It's also obvious nobody bothered to actually test
> that case because the error paths in the install code don't actually
> work for that case either !

I always set up my md /boot manually and it works fine after that.

> Fortunately the usual updating fedora-release, yum upgrade approach
> worked on my boxes. I'd avoid preupgrade anyway it seems to like breaking
> systems and leaving them half upgraded so you have to rescue the mess by
> hand.

I don't even upgrade anymore.  I just keep two partitions (Logical
Volumes actually)--one for Fedora N and one for Fedora N+1.  I always
do a fresh install, formatting the partition from the older install.
This has the advantage of providing a backup in case the new Fedora
doesn't work so well.  Eventually, when updates to the new Fedora fix
the most annoying bugs, I switch to using it full time.