Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Wed, 29.07.09 06:48, Jeff Garzik (jgarzik pobox com) wrote:

Karel Zak wrote:
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:07:32PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Tue, 28.07.09 15:48, Bill Nottingham (notting redhat com) wrote:
Yes. You cannot select them as record source, you cannot mute or
unmute them, you cannot change their volume. "CD", "PC Speaker",
"MIDI" and so on are just obsolete.
This reminds me your note:

    https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2009-July/004519.html

    PA does not make use of hardware mixing. And I don't plan to change
    that. It's obsolete technology. CPUs these days come with extensions
    such as MMX or SSE precisely for speeding up DSP tasks such as PCM
    mixing. This is way more flexible that hw mixing, and definitely the
    way to the future, both on the desktop and on embedded envs as well.

The "obsolete technology" -- who made this decision? Is it your private
opinion or any suggestion from sound card manufacturers?

It seems that HW companies still produce the "obsolete technology".
Quite agreed [says a former kernel audio driver maintainer], and I will go even farther:

Maybe since the times you worked on audio drivers the design of the
sound cards changed a little and stuff like SSE became largely available?

I am well-versed in modern audio hardware -- moreso than you, apparently.

	Jeff