Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

On Wed, 29.07.09 09:47, Jeff Garzik (jgarzik pobox com) wrote:

>> mixing is certainly the smallest part of it. Plese don't forget that
>> mixing is not exactly the most complex operation on earth.
>
> Please don't forget that hardware mixing... is more than just mixing.
> Modern audio hardware can offload sample rate conversion, attenuation,
> 3D processing, and other goodies.

Interesting in which parallel universe you must be living.

Modern audio hardware is usually locked to a specific sample rate, got
rid of all mixer controls by going to 24bit and letting the CPU
attenuate using the 8bit extra headroom. And 3d processing, and other
"goodies" aren't avilable in newer hw designs anymore either. In fact
haven't been available since quite some time in any design
anymore. (With the excption of those creative cards)

Just get over it, the new designs are really dumbed down but
high-quality 24bit dacs. That's all.

And now please sombody tell me what on earth this has to do with
the new volume control UI in Fedora?

It's amazing how Karel went through the archives to find something he
is annoyed of and brought it up on this thread here, apparently just
to start yet another pointless flamewar, taking over a completely
unrelated thread. Is this an exercise to make LWN again?

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net