fedora mini revisted

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Jul 29 14:51:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 21:33 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
<snip>
> So what do people want out of a Fedora Mini SIG?

Is Fedora Mini really Fedora Netbook? If so, then I'd concentrate on:
- Moblin as a spin
- Hardware support is pushed into the distribution

The problem space is really the same as the desktop one (and both are
built on the same technology), but with a UI better suited to the
device.

For netbooks that aren't able to run this code because of graphics
drivers deficiencies, there's always the desktop SIG and spin.

Making sure existing applications can run on smaller resolutions, or
less powerful hardware is a task for the whole distribution, not just
the Fedora Mini SIG.

If the goal is to cater for OLPC's running GNOME, then the efforts are
better done through the desktop SIG. If one of the goals is to help
Sugar, it would better be handled through a Sugar specific list and SIG.

Personally, I'd be interested in a fedora-moblin list, but not so much
in a general purpose Fedora Mini list (which would probably overlap with
other SIGs, say a SIG wanting to create a MythTV spin a-la Mythdora).

Cheers