new to list, first post

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Jul 30 14:48:17 UTC 2009

On 07/30/2009 05:30 PM, wdepli at mikrotec.com wrote:
> I am new to this list, and I am looking forward to hearing the discussion.
>
> But thanks to bob and others responding to my post on fedoraforum.org
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=227101 , I think I would
> like to broach a subject.  My apologies if this is already a burning issue
> -- I am at work, and should not spend time browsing the archives.
>
> Is Fedora really gaining that much ground with every bi-yearly release to
> justify that pace?

Please go to http://fedoraproject.org and read the first phrase on that
page: "Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases the
latest in free and open source software"

> After all Red Hat is not a desktop but a server, right?  And Chrome could

Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora are two different distros, each with
its own goals and audiences.

> kill current races to find a desktop to compete with Windows.  So why not
> concentrate on what Red Hat/Fedora does best?  Let Ubuntu grind out Gnome
> and KDE enhancements.  How often does Solaris release desktop distros?

I think the general consensus about what Fedora is doing best is
advancing technology.

Do you think Ubuntu has enough power to produce the much needed
advancements?