Re: new to list, first post

On 07/30/2009 05:30 PM, wdepli mikrotec com wrote:
I am new to this list, and I am looking forward to hearing the discussion.

But thanks to bob and others responding to my post on fedoraforum.org
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=227101 , I think I would
like to broach a subject.  My apologies if this is already a burning issue
-- I am at work, and should not spend time browsing the archives.

Is Fedora really gaining that much ground with every bi-yearly release to
justify that pace?

Please go to http://fedoraproject.org and read the first phrase on that page: "Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases the latest in free and open source software"

After all Red Hat is not a desktop but a server, right?  And Chrome could

Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora are two different distros, each with its own goals and audiences.

kill current races to find a desktop to compete with Windows.  So why not
concentrate on what Red Hat/Fedora does best?  Let Ubuntu grind out Gnome
and KDE enhancements.  How often does Solaris release desktop distros?

I think the general consensus about what Fedora is doing best is advancing technology.

Do you think Ubuntu has enough power to produce the much needed advancements?