Testing libsatsolver on Fedora

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 31 05:20:22 UTC 2009

On 07/31/2009 10:42 AM, James Antill wrote:

>  *sigh*, if you want to do some benchmarking of different package
> managers available in Fedora (zypp makes the 4th, if apt is working
> again) then feel free to actually do _a bunch of work_ comparing apples
> to apples. You'll almost certainly be speaking privately with developers
> from all of the tools, to make sure you aren't screwing it up. _Then_
> post the results somewhere.

Why would the conversations have to be private?

>  I would be more than happy to help you, with regards to yum, if only
> because it'd be nice to have _some_ third party results somewhere that
> weren't completely insane.
>  If, however, you want to just post "yum is slow" feel free to not do so
> on f-d-l. Likewise with quick "benchmarks" like this (which amounts to
> the same thing, IMO).

You are being needlessly defensive. HWhy not just explain how solv
update and yum update is that different? It is obvious why people would
want to compare. If you think, there is a lack of proper comparison, do
it yourself and post the results or explain the guidelines and ask
people to run the tests and post the results. Either way, performance of
yum is a frequently raised point and it would be useful to get some good
comparisons.

Rahul